Saturday, July 27, 2013

Helping or hurting? How Young is Too Young for Salvation



Every Sunday my 4 year old goes to Sunday school with her grandmother just as I did with mine so many years ago. My mother didn't raise us to be particularly religious; she raised us to be good people. Now she has found Christianity and that works for her but I have never been entirely comfortable with the idea bringing my little girl to church.

Here is what I believe: I believe that because I was thought at a young age by my Grandmother and by the church that the only way to be is Christian, I have an underlying belief in most things Christian: heaven, hell, God, Jesus. This is not by choice. I huge part of me does not believe in Christianity. I don’t agree with most things in the Bible, I don’t agree with Christian ideals like: the inferiority of women, homosexuality being wrong, the whole creation story, that Jesus was truly the son of God. But because I was taught from a young age that these things are real, it’s hard for me to push these beliefs out of my mind completely. When I am scared, I call for Jesus. When I am thankful, I thank God. And I'm not saying that I don’t believe in God, I simply don’t believe Christianity is the right answer.

So now here I am sitting with my just turned four year old looking at a coloring book and pointing to a long haired, bearded man she says to me, “Look Mom its Jesus!” I was shocked! (And disturbed.)

Religion should be a choice. Even the Christian Bible teaches that. She should be able to make the decision on her own without prior influence. The way I see it, the only reason we are Christian is because we live in a predominantly Christian place. If we were in the Middle East our beliefs may be different, if we were in India they would be different.  Living in India there is a good chance from a young age you would be taught that Hinduism is the right choice in religion. And you would believe that with all your heart and you would raise your children to feel the same way, believing that what you are doing is the best thing for your child. That’s what every religion is doing. Is it right? Is it truly right to strip someone of the basic ability to choose one’s own faith at such a young age?

My daughter is sweet, kind, companionate; she has great empathy for everyone and everything. She is happy, she is strong. Why does she need religion at four years old?

What is the right thing to do? Should she still be allowed to go to church and be brainwashed into believing one thing? I would greatly appreciate any well worded and respectful input. Its just a question, please understand that I am not knocking religion or Christianity, I’m simply asking a question.


This graph shows religion does not promise civility! 

No comments:

Post a Comment